Selected as "AMERICA'S TOP 50 REMODELER"
Ph: 401-781-9251 1065 Warwick Ave. Warwick, RI 02888 Fax: 401-785-2531
located in Warwick, RI
Home Owner Tips ~ Frequently Asked Questions
The process of choosing a home improvement contractor can be stressful. Most of us have either heard it on the news, read in the newspaper, or perhaps you or someone you know has been the victom of hiring a home improvement company who is either not registered, has no insurance, is full of false promises, etc.
When Choosing a Home Improvement Company...Here are some of the essential questions you should be asking...
1. How long have they been in business?__________________________________________________________________
2. Are they registered?...ask to see their Contractors Registration card and be sure it is not expired.
3. Are they properly insured?...i.e. Workers Compensation and Liability...see proof of this insurance and be sure it is not expired.
4. Does the company you are hiring use subcontractors?...be sure the subcontractors are insured as well and their insurance has not expired.
5. Do they have an office or showroom?
6. Are they able to provide you with referrals from previous customers?
7. And finally...take the time to go and visit a job in progress, look closely at company's work and their crew.
Q: How do I know if I need a new roof?
A: The following are things that may indicate that your roof needs replacing...
- Missing, cracked or curling shingles
- Blistering or peeling paint
- Shingle, sheathing or siding decay
- Leakage in the attic after heavy rain
- Stains on interior walls or celings
- High energy bills
Q: What can I do about mildew on my roof?
A: Most home improvement stores sell a mildew cleaner that can be applied to your roof with a sprayer. Mildew cleaners should not damage your roof in any way.
Q: Can heavy snow damage my roof?
A: Yes...It is important to keep heavy snow off your eavesdrops and cleared out of your ridge vents.
Q: How often should I clean my gutters?
A: Gutters should be cleaned at least once in the summer and twice in the fall...just don't have the time or the energy??? Install Leaf Relief, no more cleaning, no more clogging, proven 100% effective.
Q: Why should I have StormTite install vinyl siding on my home as opposed to painting?
A: Stop painting year after year...Siding is maintanence free while still giving you that real wood look. It not only enhances the beauty of your home, but also the value. StormTite has received national attention and fame for our intricate trim work and ability to take away that "vinyl siding look."
Q: What are the benefits of installing new windows?
A: First and foremost you will see a decrease in your heating and cooling bills. The tilt in sash offers easy cleaning. Our windows are energy efficiant, insulated low e glass eliminates fading of carpets, curtains, etc.
Q: What is low-e glass?
A: Low-e is an internal coating on the glass that diminishes heat transfer to save on heating and cooling costs. It also effectively reduces ultraviolet light which can damage carpets, fabrics and drapes.